After the success of Instagram Reels last year, now Mark Zuckerberg shared a new feature of the Instagram platform called Instagram Channels, which might be the main Instagram feature for 2023.
It is a new way for creators to build deeper connections with their audience.
And in this post, we will go into more detail to explain how it works, how to get to create an Instagram Channel, and the current features.
What is an Instagram Broadcast Channel?
Instagram Broadcast Channel is a direct line from creators to followers. It is a new feature on Instagram that allows creators to create a new space where they can communicate directly with their followers by posting all their latest news and allowing fans to engage with reactions and in polls.
At first glance, it looks like the Clubhouse app or the Twitter spaces, which is now a very common option used by journalists, publications, and influencers to communicate via voice conversations on Twitter. Like people used to on the Radio (for those who remember those times 🙂
Here is what it looks like with an example of the Meta Channel:
Here are the main characteristics of the Instagram Channels:
- Broadcast channels are public and like a one-to-many communication relationship, where
- Creators can use broadcasts to inform and engage with their followers with photos, videos, voice messages, notes, etc.
- The Instagram channels are available now to creators from the US, and they will be rolled out worldwide in the coming months
- The followers can engage with the content and take part in the polls, with more features coming soon.
The Benefits of The Instagram Broadcast Channels For Creators
The Instagram Channels promise the creators to use a new feature but in a familiar way. This means that they will not need to learn a new tool, but they will have their familiar direct messaging interface where they can spread information about their life, show behind the scenes, providing exclusive information, etc.
In summary, here are the benefits of why creators should try Instagram Channels
- Build and interact with a community more directly
- Quickly and easily share the latest information.
- Get feedback
Here is an example of the type of messages that a Yoga instructor can share in their channel:
How to Join An Instagram Broadcast Channel?
Once you, as a creator, make a channel, there are a few ways to promote it.
First, you can share a Broadcast Channel sticker in your Stories, which will enable your fans the view your stories by clicking the Join broadcast button and immediately sign in.
And once you have a message that you send to the channel, they will receive a notification inviting them to check their DMs with the Channel’s message.
You can also manage the opt-in to the channel by navigating to the creator’s profile and on click on the top-right bell icon. You will see the turn on/off toggle from the dropdown that will help you turn off or turn on a broadcast channel.
So in summary, here is how followers can join a channel:
Step 1: Go to the Instagram stories of your favorite creator and look for the broadcast sticker option
Step 2: Tap the ‘Join broadcast channel’ button (if a person is not following the creator, you will get a prompt to start following them)
Step 3: The broadcast channel will appear in your Instagram inbox next to the other message threads
Step 4: You will be able to vote on polls or react to the content but will not have the ability to comment and send messages.
Note: All followers of the creator will get a notification to join their channel and will get the notifications each time the channel has a new message.
Of course, if your font finds value, you can turn off the notifications and mute the channel. Or even leave the channel completely.
Get Early Access
At the moment, only handpicked creators have access to this option, and if you want to try it out, you can join the waiting list here. (just please click the link on mobile.)
To start joining channels, here is a list of creators who have broadcast channels on Instagram:
- Karen Cheng, Creative Director: Follow @karenxcheng
- Austin Sprinz, Content Creator: Follow @austin_sprinz
- Chloe Kim, Two-time Olympic gold medalist snowboarder: Follow @chloekim
- David Allen, Content Creator: Follow @ToTouchanEmu
- FaZe Rug, Gamer: Follow @fazerug
- Flau’jae Johnson, Basketball and rap star: Follow @flaujae
- Gilbert Burns, Mixed Martial Artist: Follow @gilbert_burns
- Josh Richards, Media Personality and Entrepreneur: Follow @joshrichards
- Katie Feeney, Content Creator: Follow @katiefeeneyy
- Lonnie IIV, Digital Creator: Follow @LonnieIIV
- Mackenzie Dern, Jiu-Jitsu black belt UFC fighter: Follow @mackenziedern
- Mikaela Shiffrin, Winningest Woman Alpine Skier of All Time: Follow @mikaelashiffrin
- Tank Sinatra, Meme Sensation: Follow @tank.sinatra
- Valkyrae, Creator & Streamer: Follow @valkyrae
FYI: You can embed Instagram Reels widget automatically with EmbedSocial’s UGC platform. Start a free trial and display your social media widgets now.
Embed Instagram Reels videos on your website automatically!
Try EmbedFeed and add TikTok videos, Instagram, YouTube or Facebook feeds to your website.
All features included | Live support available