Instagram has announced a new Instagram Hashtag Search API that has visible changes in the way marketers used the API or third-party tools to discover and search hashtags.
According to the official Hashtag Search API documentation, here are the main changes in the Hashtags Search on Instagram:
- You can query a maximum of 30 unique hashtags on behalf of an Instagram Business User within a rolling, 7 day period.
- A queried hashtag will count against this limit as soon as it is queried.
- This edge only returns media objects published within 24 hours of query execution.
- Subsequent queries on that hashtag within 7 days of the initial query will not count against the limit.
- Personally, identifiable information will not be included in responses.
- You cannot comment on hashtagged media objects discovered through the API.
- Hashtags on Stories are not supported.
How does this impact Instagram marketing
In reality, the marketers who want to discover UGC – user-generated content around their brands on Instagram will not feel a major impact. This is one of the common uses of the Instagram search and the limit of querying 30 hashtags per week is usually more than enough for the hashtags that are commonly used by brands on Instagram.
On the other hand, the inability to comment on hashtagged media through a system (automatically) is probably a good thing for eliminating automated spam bots that are getting very intrusive and ‘polluting’ the Instagram community.
And in relation with the limitation for hashtags on Stories, for me personally, can be a very interesting feature. But, I suppose the format of the Stories and the idea of having short-lived content is not envisioned to have a bigger public search based on the hashtags tagged on the stories.
EmbedSocial integrates latest Instagram Hashtags API
To reflect the changes, EmbedSocial has integrated the newest Instagram hashtags API across its products and implemented the new requirements.
We are happy to announce that EmbedSocial has successfully finished the Facebook developer review process and now complies with the latest changes in the Instagram API
In relation to this, the Instagram Hashtag Feed functionality provided in EmbedFeed will enable marketers to use the tool as the following:
- Can query a maximum of 30 unique hashtags within a 7 day period
- Can create a combined feed of hashtagged media from multiple hashtags
- Embed these feeds on any website or multiple websites
- Get all hashtagged media posted within the latest 24 hours (without the usernames)
Are you a Marketer? Here is how to get started
The Hashtags are here to stay with the enormous power for discovering and reaching new audiences around a single topic.
And they are one of the core growth drivers of Instagram’s ecosystem. Having white listed tools such as EmbedSocial to provide you with more in-depth functionality around Instagram hashtags, can be vital in:
- Time-saving in monitoring what people post with your branded or industry specific hashtags
- Brand analysis efforts when capturing beautiful hashtagged media by actual customers
- Re-using this user-generated content on websites or other brand’s digital marketing activities
- Activating user engagement and rewarding them around hashtag contests or campaigns
So, if you need such a tool go ahead, start a free trial for EmbedFeed and test the latest integration with the Instagram hashtags API.