Everything About Instagram Story Highlights
In this blog
1. What are Instagram Story Highlights?
We all know that Instagram stories disappear in 24 hours. And, in order to give the option for the users to save some of the stories and make them visible as a pin in their profile, Instagram has provided a feature called Highlights.
Instagram Highlights are groups of stories that you can create as folder sections on your Instagram profiles. This means that once you post a story you can save it in a Highlight (like a folder) that will display on your Instagram profile, or you can also choose the option to archive the stories and in future create highlights from the saved stories in your archive.
- Highlights covers – option to add a custom image or an icon that will represent the topic of the stories that are saved inside;
- Highlights name – option to name the Highlight the same as you do with naming folders.
Note that, once you create the Highlights they appear in your Instagram profile screen right below your bio text and profile photo.
2. How to Create Instagram Highlight?
As mentioned above, you have two ways how to create an Instagram Story Highlights:
- Create Highlight from the active story – Post a story and manually save it in a Highlight
- Create Highlight from archived stories – If you have the Archive option activated, your stories will save automatically in your archive section and in future, you can choose which stories to be organized in a Highlight.
Let me show you how to create a Highlight with the first option:
Create Highlight from the active story
If you have an active story and you want to make sure this story is added to a Highlight just follow these steps:
- Tap on the active story to view it
- Tap the bottom option Highlight
- Tap the plus icon to create new Highlight
- Enter the name of the new Highlight
- Tap the blue buttons Add
Once you do this, your new Highlight will appear on your profile photo and your followers will be able to view it even after the 24 hour story lifetime.
Create Highlight from the archived stories
To add Instagram stories from your archive to a highlight and pin them on your profile, follow the steps below :
- Go to your Instagram profile and tap Story Highlights below bio
- Tap the plus icon
- In the new window, tap and select the stories you want to appear in the Highlight and tap Next.
- Tap ‘Edit Cover’ to choose which story will appear as a Highlight icon or just upload an icon
- Enter a name for your Highlight
- Tap Add (iPhone) or Done(Android).
How to add more stories in a current Highlight
You can add more photos or videos to your highlight at any time by following these steps:
- Go to your profile and hold your finger pressed on the Highlight you want to edit
- Tap Edit Highlight
- Choose the stories you want to add and tap Done
Also in this ‘Edit Highlight’ screen, you can edit the current Highlight, it’s text and it’s the cover image. And if you want to delete the Highlight, just double tap on the
3. Why Instagram Highlights are so Important?
The Instagram Stories have become one of the main channels for brands to connect, engage and gain real results from their digital marketing activities. Understanding Instagram stories for business can be one of your main competitive advantages for your 2019 marketing activities.
Therefore, having hard-produced story videos or images, saved for future followers to view at any time, make the Highlights feature very important for the community managers and digital marketers.
The main reasons why you need to use Instagram Highlights, are the following:
- Use this new format to tell an ongoing story
- Make the content of your stories accessible to new followers
- Educate them about your previous activities posted in the stories
- Showcase your products or services, in a structured and categorized way
- Provide library format of
usefulcontent that you’ve already shared
4. How to add Instagram Highlights covers or icons?
The covers and the text of the Instagram Highlights are gaining huge popularity due to the fact that these small icons are the first thing a new visitor of your Instagram profile will see.
You will notice that the cover images are usually the images in the stories that you’ve selected for that particular Highlight. But, in this tutorial, it will show you how to change the Highlights covers without sharing them in a story
Before you start, please add the icon images in your phones camera roll and follow these steps.
- Go to your profile and hold your finger to the Highlight you want to edit
- Tap Edit Highlight
- Tap Edit Cover
- Choose the photo from your camera roll
- Tao Done
5. How to design Highlights Cover Icons
For this challenge, I will definitely recommend Canva.
You will only need to follow the steps below, and in a very fast time you will be able to create your highlight covers:
- Open Canva and click Create a design
- Choose the Instagram story format
- Choose any template, delete its content and change the background color
- Go to Elements and in the search field type icon. Choose the preferred icon, set it in the middle and choose its color
- Share this design to your email and save it to your phone’s camera roll
Once you want to change the cover, just choose this icon from your phones camera roll.
5. Instagram Highlights Examples
Once you know how to change the icons, you will need to make a plan for the overall design of the Highlights section. This is a current trend, and as you are probably aware you want to make sure people coming to your profile click on these icons and check your great Instagram stories.
That is why in this section, I will showcase you few interesting ideas on how to organize the Instagram stories and design the Highlights covers.
Here are few Highlights covers for inspiration:
1. Glossier Inc. a people-powered beauty ecosystem – they use pink color only for their profile image (not a logo) and for the Highlights covers they use only blank – white images. Very minimalistic and very different than other accounts, who usually use icons or some product images.
2. Carrots n Cake Flexible Macro Plans & Coaching – provides a very indebted structure about their content published via Instagram stories and use all green icons with the same layout to represent all different categories of the Highlights.
3. Starbucks Coffee – they use real people photos as cover icons for the Highlights. This appeal brings the design of their profile to life and it makes the visitors feel the user-friendliness of the profile.
6. How to display Instagram Highlight on your website?
Please note that at this moment Instagram does not have an API that will allow third-party tools to directly sync the websites with your Instagram Highlights.
The EmbedStories tool can display Instagram stories on any website. It’s system and the technology can also support the embed of Instagram Highlights but only for the stories that are already generated in the EmbedStories platform.
The archived stories can be uploaded manually but this option is currently