In the e-commerce industry, where competition is fierce, asking the right product survey questions to gain insights is of utmost importance. That process helps product managers and marketing teams learn what their customers think about their products.
That’s why e-commerce brands should carefully structure and select their customers’ product survey questions.
This article will provide a product feedback survey example with pre-made questions and form templates you can use right now.
But first, let’s see why product feedback is so essential for your e-commerce brand, regardless of what you sell online.
Why is product feedback important?
Can your customers tell you something important? Yes, of course.
Product feedback is not just about curiosity. It is more about gathering meaningful data about a product. And each product manager should take this seriously, you included.
A great product is not created magically. You need to continuously collect customer feedback to guide your product roadmap and avoid presumptions and misconceptions about user experience.
After all, you want to sell a product online that will appeal to your customers, right?
In short, you need to get customer feedback and conduct a product survey to meet customer expectations.
How collecting product feedback can benefit your online store
Gathering product feedback and, more importantly, putting it into action can benefit your e-commerce business in many ways. To be more specific, it can help you:
1. Improve your product
Market research exists for a specific purpose: to give you insight into what your potential customers want. Before launching a new product, you probably already know if your potential customers are interested in that product.
But only after your customers buy your product, you can learn more about why they need it. You can learn about their actual experience. After all, their expectations and needs evolve with time.
And you can get a complete picture of how your customers perceive your brand if you collect product feedback.
When you are asking for product feedback, you will capture first-hand data about how satisfied your customers are with your product. As a result, you will be able to enhance your product.
2. Combat shopping cart abandonment
Another benefit of conducting a product survey is reducing your shopping cart abandonment rate.
You do not like when a potential buyer adds an item to their digital basket without completing the purchase, do you?
So, if you ask your potential online buyers about your checkout process and payment options, for example, you will gain valuable insights into why they are abandoning their shopping carts. This way, you can offer more payment options to your customers and simplify the checkout process.
3. Improve customer retention and satisfaction
When you learn what your customers really think about your product and business, you are more likely to keep them coming back and improve overall customer satisfaction.
That’s to say, when you fulfill the needs, wants, and desires of your customers, you have a greater chance of leveling up your customer experience across the board and driving more sales through return customers. This is a critical aspect of e-commerce that you should not overlook.
How to prepare and conduct a product survey
Your customers can transform every aspect of your business as long as you listen to their feedback.
Getting customer feedback plays a vital role in improving products, customer retention, customer satisfaction, and many more areas of your e-commerce business.
Now, we will help you prepare and make the most of your product survey to know the pulse of your audience and get the data you need. Follow the steps below:
1. Define your product survey goal
Your survey goal is a crucial factor in designing your product questionnaire. You will not miss out on any relevant product questions with a clear goal. Also, your survey will be organized, well-designed, and successful.
Therefore, to define and set your product survey goal, it is wise to ask yourself what you want to know and why.
Start by answering the following questions:
- What do you want to discover with your survey?
- Who is your survey audience?
- How will you reach your survey audience?
- How will you use the information gathered during the survey to improve different areas of your business?
- What actions do you plan to take?
Once you have answered these questions, you will be able to guide your survey design without straying from the purpose of your questionnaire.
2. Identify your survey audience
Just imagine that you have designed the perfect product survey. However, you have not identified your survey audience yet. Unless you identify the right survey respondents to meet your survey goal, all your efforts will be wasted
But do not worry – you are not alone. We will help you find the right kind of audience to give you relevant insights.
To find the right audience, it is essential to consider two factors:
Types of the survey audience
Identifying what type of audience would help you the most is the first factor to consider. Simply put, determine whether you want to reach people based on demography, purchase intentions, or interests.
Usually, the best way is to send a survey is to reach out first to your loyal customers. This way, you will get a high response rate, especially because they love your products and are willing to help get valuable data so you can continue providing them with the product and survey they already love.
The number of respondents to include in your survey
Another factor for a successful feedback survey is identifying the number of people you need to send the survey to get more survey responses.
Now that you know which type of audience you would like to answer your product questions, it is inevitable to determine the number of survey respondents required. And here comes the question: “How representative do you want your survey results to be?”
However, it is impossible to survey 100% of any specific population. Thus, we recommend creating a survey with an acceptable tolerance level for inaccuracy.
3. Design the appearance of your survey
Now is the time to determine what your product survey will look like. We refer specifically to the “Question Sequence” feature, i.e., the order of your product questions, questionnaire length, types of questions, etc.
Here are some things your product survey needs to have:
- Put all the leading questions at the beginning
- Use more multiple-choice questions
- Add indicators about how much effort and time the customer will need to submit the survey.
- Always add an ‘Additional feedback’ as an open-ended question at the end of the survey
- Add share buttons in the ‘thank you’ screens to people can share the survey with a friend or colleague
But we will give more details on the topic in the following sections.
List of tools needed to create and conduct a product survey
Creating a helpful survey is more challenging than you might think. In fact, there are many questions you could ask your customers. Sure, the task is challenging but not impossible. If you use one of these tools, you can determine if your online business is delivering what your customers are looking for.
EmbedForms is a feature-rich yet flexible form builder that helps your e-commerce brand gather customer feedback. It provides every survey question type: single or long question, file upload, star rating, multiple choice answers, radio buttons, opinion scale, photo upload, etc. Additionally, it allows you to ask your customers what they think about your product directly on your e-commerce site or via social media and email.
And perhaps the best part about EmbedForms is that you can use it to design professional survey templates and interactive form widgets on your website, no matter if your website was built with web builders such as Wix, WordPress, etc.
Also, it offers a Forever Free plan, which means that you can use EmbedForms without paying anything. However the free plan has certain limitations. If you want to unlock certain features, you will have to upgrade to a paid plan, starting at $4.99 per month.
2. Google Forms
This is another great form builder. But it is free to use. Google Forms is actually part of the web-based apps suite created by Google, such as Google Docs, Google Slides, Google Sheets, etc.
Like EmbedForms, Google Forms helps you create an effective product survey or questionnaire. However, it does not offer the level of customizability that EmbedForms does, for example.
SurveyMonkey is one of the most popular online survey tools for creating and running professional online surveys.
You can use it as a research tool to create a survey and send it via email to respondents or post it on your website or social media profiles. This can help you get accurate feedback on your e-commerce products.
When it comes to its pricing plans, it offers two types of plans: Personal and Business plans.
Top 100 product survey questions to ask your online customers
Now that you have learned everything you need to know about your product survey, you are ready to follow a simple framework to write your product questions and create a customer questionnaire for your target audience.
Although you should keep your survey goal in mind when designing your survey, we hope that our framework can help you collect customer feedback easily.
We have divided the questions into two main categories: pre-purchase and post-purchase product survey questions to make things easier for you. Just read on!
Note: For more inspiration browse a list of 228 customer feedback questions that can be used for any industry,More forms templates? Check the forms library >
Pre-purchase product survey questions
This phase is essential, especially for companies that want to do extensive product research, learn what is the buyer’s journey before making a decision and what important features of the product impact the purchasing decision.
- How often do you turn to the web to do your shopping?
- What do you research about a product before buying it?
- Do you only buy from registered trademarks?
- What discourages you from buying a product online?
- What originally attracted you to our e-commerce site?
- How did you find out about us?
- How did you hear about our product?
- Have you ever used any other product from our brand before?
- Did you see an ad for this product?
- Did a friend refer you to us?
- Was it easy to find us?
- Did you find what you were looking for on our site?
- On a scale from 1 to 10, how satisfied are you with the availability of our products?
- What other products would you like to see in our e-commerce store?
Pricing is one of the main elements of your product’s value proposition. That is why understanding the customer sentiment around your pricing data points is essential for your business to grow. Here are some survey questions to gather feedback about product pricing:
- Do we charge too much for the product?
- Do you think the product is so cheap that you feel the quality couldn’t be excellent?
- How expensive is our product compared to similar brands?
- Would an increase in price make you look elsewhere for the same product?
- How would you rate the value for money of the product?
- In your opinion, how should our product be priced?
- What we can improve on the pricing page?
Website and purchase process
To understand the user behavior on your website, we recommend getting quantitative data from Google analytics. This will give you useful user insights from all website visitors, not just your customers. On top of this data, you should also include questions about your website in any product survey to get qualitative data where customers will express their own words about their shop experience.
- What was your first impression of our e-commerce site?
- Did you feel overwhelmed when you visited our site?
- Did you have a hard time navigating our site?
- Did something go wrong on our website?
- What do you think of our purchase process?
- What are your preferred payment options?
- Which payment methods have you experienced problems with?
- How satisfied are you with the payment options that we offer?
- How satisfied are you with our payment/checkout/purchase process?
- Was it easy for you to buy the product?
- How easy was it for you to finalize the purchase?
- How would you rate the purchase process?
- How concerned are you about sharing your personal and credit card information with us?
Note: For quick customers’ pulse, use an NPS survey to find out your net promoter score.
Post-purchase product survey questions
- How long have you had the product?
- How long have you been using the product?
- How easy is it to use the product?
- How would you rate your experience with the product?
Product description and images
- How satisfied are you with the product images provided?
- How satisfied are you with the product information provided?
- Were our product descriptions the key deciding factor for your purchase?
- Were our product images the key deciding factor for your purchase?
- Did we cover the most important product details in our product description?
- Did the product match the description?
- What do you think of our product images?
- On a scale from 1 to 10, how happy/satisfied are you with our product?
- Why did you give us that score?
- What is your favorite feature of our product?
- What feature is the product missing?
- Which product benefits do you find the most valuable?
- What is your favorite benefit of our product?
- What benefit is the product missing?
- Does our product help you solve your problems or achieve your goals?
- How would you rate the quality of our product?
- What do you dislike about the product?
- If you could change just one thing about our product, what would it be? And why?
- Have you had any problems with the product? If any, can you specify them?
- Do you trust online reviews?
- How much did you trust our product reviews?
- How helpful were our product reviews to you when you made the purchasing decision?
- How much did our overall product rating affect your purchasing decision?
- What do you think of our packaging?
- Did you like our packaging?
- How visually appealing is our packaging?
- How unique is our packaging?
- How would you rate the quality of our packaging?
- Does our packaging provide the right amount, too much or too little information?
- How well does the packaging display our brand image?
- How easy or difficult was it to open the packaging?
- What is your preferred method of ordering?
- Which type of delivery do you use most often?
- How happy are you with our shipping options?
- Do you agree with the pricing for the kind of delivery you prefer?
- Did you receive your order on time?
- How was our delivery agent?
- Did our delivery agent act professionally?
- What is the most common reason you request a product return?
- Did you check out our “Return and Refund Policy” before making the purchase?
- Was the “Return and Refund Policy” easy to find on our site?
- How satisfied are you with our return policy?
- How fair is our return policy?
- How would you rate our returns processing time?
- Have you used a similar product before?
- Are you currently using a similar product? If so, why are you switching?
- Which alternatives did you consider before making the purchase?
- Which particular characteristics or attributes of our product make it better than the other products in the market?
- Compared to our competition, is our product quality worse, better, or about the same?
- Why did you choose our product over other options in the market?
- Is there something that we can learn from our competition?
Customer service and customer satisfaction
Customer satisfaction surveys are one of the best ways to collect information about the entire purchasing process. With these pre-defined questions, you will be able to create a customer satisfaction survey in just a few seconds.
- Did you feel that our customer support team answered your inquiry in a timely fashion?
- Did you feel like our customer support representatives acted in your best interest?
- Did you feel that our team is knowledgeable and professional?
- How well did our team understand your needs?
- How would you rate our service overall?
- Could you tell us what we can do to serve you better?
- Did you feel comfortable shopping with us?
- Did the overall experience meet your expectations?
- How would you rate the overall experience with our e-commerce brand?
- What suggestions do you have to improve the experience?
- What should we never stop doing?
- On a scale from 1 to 10, how likely are you to recommend our product to someone else?
- Would you use us again?
- Do you want to add anything else that we didn’t ask?
Next step:forms library >
As an e-commerce store owner, you need to measure customer satisfaction continually. And a great way to do that is to carry out product surveys.
Surveys are a great method to learn about a specific customer’s experience and customer’s perspective. Furthermore, collecting honest feedback can help you better understand customer needs and how customers feel about your product or service.
Conducting a survey and collecting product feedback can empower positive changes in your online business, mainly when the feedback is negative.
Finally, you will build loyal customers who can help you lower customer churn rates and gain new customers.
So, why not engage with your actual customers and ask them the right product questions (listed above) to improve and grow your e-commerce business?